As Moms, it’s so important to find time to workout that works. I stay at home with my 2 youngest kids so I have some flexibility with my workouts but I do have to be creative about fitting in the workouts. My time and focus can’t revolve solely around my workout routine. Are you in a similar situation? Well, let me give you a few workout strategies that I have implemented lately. These ideas are practical fitness tips that won’t eat up your day.
Practical Fitness Tips:
1. Discover the Advantages of HIIT Workouts
If you’re not familiar with HIIT Workouts, the acronym stands for High-Intensity Interval Training. These types of workouts are generally shorter in duration (usually 30 minutes or less) and are easily done indoors. HIIT workouts alternate between a short burst of high-intensity exercises and a short period of rest or recovery.
HIIT exercise can give you many of the same health benefits as other forms of traditional exercise but in less time. Some of these benefits of engaging in regular HIIT workouts include:
- Burns lots of calories in less exercise time
- Increases metabolism and fat burn
- Tones muscles while getting benefits of a cardio workout
- Increases cardiovascular health and decreases blood sugar
- Improves the body’s ability to use oxygen more efficiently
High-intensity Interval workouts are a great way to utilize your time wisely as a busy Mama and reap the benefits of regular exercise. But before beginning any new exercise or nutrition routine, always check with your doctor to make sure that it is safe for you and that it meets your specific health needs and criteria. Take care of yourself, Mama!
2. Take Advantage of Free Fitness Resources
Ok, before you cave and buy one more workout video/meal plan guide…I would encourage you to see what kind of free resources are at your disposal first. I love Pinterest so much…SO much! But there are a lot of workouts and health ideas coming at you…I know. It is so easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of great ideas and workouts. I get it!
But what I’m trying to focus on is finding a few great fitness resources and following them. I’m trying not spending hours looking for the perfect “this” + the perfect “that” to = perfection! Because first off, it just ain’t gonna happen…perfection kills progress so move on, Mama. So find something that alines with:
- the time you have available,
- the resources you have available
- the goals you’re trying to accomplish
So this last month, I found a resource that seriously feels like I struck gold!
As I was perusing through workouts on Amazon Prime Video, I found a workout series that is included in prime membership. Challenging 15-minute workouts…I can do at home…with weights or without…and for FREE…checks all the boxes! It is included on Amazon Prime Video but all the same, workouts are on this website. The awesome creator of this workout content is Maggie Binkley. If you’re looking for somewhere to start on limited time and resources but also have fitness goals…check her out!
3. Be Creative With What You Have
Lastly, it is so important to be creative and resourceful with what we have available. Whether you’re on your lunch break and need to find a way to quickly use 15-20 minutes to get some exercise in or if you’re housebound until nap time for your little ones is all done. There is always a way to get it in! Here are a few quick ideas for you if you’re not able to get to the gym but are determined to get that workout in:
- Stairs- If you have stairs available then you are minutes away from a great cardio workout. Climb them quickly for 3 minutes then stop and do 20 squats. Repeat that cycle 3-4 times and I can promise you your heart rate will be up and calories will have been burned efficiently.
- Planks- Always opt-in for some extra planks. Planks engage all the core muscles (including your lower back region). Moms especially have to target this area for toning and strengthening because these muscle groups tend to get somewhat neglecting and weakened during pregnancy.
- Tricep Dips on a Hard, Stable Surface- If you have a hard, stable surface like a chair or table available then get ready to set your triceps on fire! Keep most of your weight on your arms as you keep your back to the chair (table, bench, etc.) and slowly dip down. You should feel the work being done by mostly the triceps (behind your arm) as well as some working being done by the shoulder region.
*For a quick no-equipment workout using these ideas above- Stair climb for 3 minutes and do 20 squats (repeat this 2-3 times). Hold a forearm plank for 30 seconds to 1 minute then do 20 tricep dips (repeat this workout pair 2-3 times).
Embrace Practical Fitness that Won’t Eat Up Your Day
To sum it all up, let’s shoot for getting in 30 minutes of heart rate raising, muscle toning, creative physical activity. Some days it’s easy to have a set routine in place. But other days, there’s a need for being creative with fitness and to ensure that your workout won’t eat up your day. So try out these practical fitness tips that won’t eat up your day when you need to mix it up or just get it in.
Take care of yourself, Mama! I’m rooting for you!