I seriously love perusing Pinterest and scoping out design features and décor items. But my resourceful self just can’t help but think, “That looks easy! I bet I could make that!” Or maybe rather…”I bet my hubby could make that.” And so far, we (he) has come through with something awesome every. single. time. I’m there for design inspiration but he always does the heavy lifting on these projects…I always get to do the fun parts.
Our last DIY project was so easy and cheap…we did it for almost pennies!
At the end of this quick and easy DIY project, we had a beautiful distressed, shabby chic piece of wall decor that we created ourselves for almost nothing out of pocket! Cheap + Classy = A Win! Goodness, that feels rewarding! Here’s how it came about…
So we all know chevron is big right now. It’s everywhere! And when I saw a set of 3 distressed chevron arrows in a gorgeous farmhouse cottage on Pinterest…I was sold. Yes, let’s do it! I have to have these on my wall ASAP! But how could I save a little money but still satisfy my itch for some new home décor? I could feel it…a DIY project was coming on.
So if you have access to a saw and a drill, the rest of this project in terms of material and labor is super easy and crazy cheap.
Here’s what you need for your Pallet Wood Chevron Arrows DIY Project:
- Saw (preferably a miter saw but a saw of any sort will work)
- Square tool (this tool is only needed if you don’t have access to a Miter Saw because it will allow you to measure the angles needed before cutting)
- Drill with drill bit attachments
- 3- slats of pallet wood (the longer top pieces not the short, thick, in-between pieces)
- 3- 2.5-inch screws
- 3- 5 or 6-inch screws
- 3- Sawtooth Picture hangers
- 6- Brad nails (to attach sawtooth picture hangers)
- Wood glue (optional but recommended)
- Sandpaper (
- Wood putty (Optional)
- Paint (Optional- these arrows also look nice with just the natural wood look. But if you want to use paint, it only takes a very small amount- I used white.)
Steps to making your Pallet Wood Chevron Arrows DIY Project:
- Cut each of the 3 long pallet boards exactly in half.
- Then measure and cut each halved pallet board piece down to 13 inches (your measurements may be different depending on if you want smaller or larger arrows) and make sure there are no ragged ends on each cut board either by making a clean cut with your saw and/or sanding the ends of the board to smooth them.
- If using a Miter saw, set the saw to 45-degrees and cut each of the 6 boards at that angle.
- If not using a Miter
saw,measure and mark one end of each board at a 45-degree angle with a square tool. Cut each at that angle. Make sure the cut angles at the end of each 13-inch board line up flush with each other so they will make the arrow come to a clean point.
- Next, match up the sets of wood to make 3 arrows.
- This step is optional but recommended: Put wood glue between the tips of the boards making an arrow point to add extra stability.
- Then, at the top of each arrow, about an inch from the tip of the arrow point, drill a 2.5-inch screw through the edge of one of the 13-inch pieces of wood until it secures to the opposite piece of wood. Do this for each of the 3 arrows.
- On the same edge as you drilled the last screw, move down about an inch below the top screw. Drill the 5-inch screw through the wood edge until it secures to the opposite piece of wood.
- This step is optional: Use the wood putty in each of the screw holes if you’d like to hide them. Sand off the rough and uneven parts of the dried putty.
- This step is optional: If you’d like to paint the arrows, put on a quick and thin coat of paint. After the paint dries completely, use the sandpaper to distress the paint more if you’d like.
- Lastly, center the sawtooth picture hangers to the back of each arrow and nail them in with the brad nails.
Finally, there you have it! A beautiful set of 3 pallet wood chevron arrows ready to grace your walls and add that extra element of unique style.
So I hope you have fun designing and decorating with this fun and easy DIY project! But if you are lacking the time or materials for this DIY project but still would love the beautiful design on your walls then check out these beautiful chevron wall decor arrows here.
Enjoy designing your Nest!